Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 54 - Star Spangled Banner

(Post for 8 July) Most of us attended the change of command for the Afghan Engineering District North today. Oddly enough, this was the first time I'd heard the Star Spangled Banner since I've been here. The 101st Airborne Division jazz band played the Afghan National Anthem, and then a locally deployed civilian sung the US National Anthem. I got a lump in my throat, but then I do every time I hear it, regardless of whether or not it is at a military formation or a sporting event.

"Oh, say, does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?" I really like our anthem for a variety of reasons. It is up beat, inspirational, has great lyrics, and it's not too long. The other anthem played today sounded a bit like a dirge. This is also the first time I've heard it, and it seemed somewhat repetitive.

I watch a lot of Formula 1 races, and there are always a variety of anthems played at the conclusion. One for the winning driver, and one for the winning team. For a long time it was the German and Italian national anthems. Go Schumi! He's back racing again, but not with a top tier team. He's my age, but I don't think he's lost any ability. By the way, if you're a Top Gear fan, rumor has it that he might be "The White Stig." He was revealed as such on the show, but many think that was just a hoax. Any way, the point really is, most national anthems are just too long. A lot of times when I hear them I'm left wondering about half way through, is this over yet? Little known fact, the shortest national anthem is Uganda's at only 9 bars (good choice folks). The longest is Uruguay's at 105 bars, and Greece's has 158 verses, but it's just Greek to me (it was too easy). I think ours is just right. After this whole diatribe though, I'm sure it's obvious that I'm more than a bit biased.

Not sure how I got from the Star Spangled Banner to the Stig, but that is just a glimpse into the random synaptic firings that make up my consciousness. Next post will have photos and details about our trip to Camp Dogan for a going away luncheon from the Turkish Officers we work with at NMAA. I also will post some of the Panjshir pictures as well when I have good upload speeds from work. Till then, here's just one of the representative photos from Panjshir.

No comments:

Post a Comment