Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 46 - IPv6

I started the day getting my "ghost written" request for a laptop donation staffed. I drafted this request for the NMAA Superintendent some time last week and just got it back from the translators today. I've been in contact with a charitable non-profit in the US inquiring about raising some money to buy laptops for the next entering class. Once I had the translated version I went and spent a bit of time with the XO and put it into the "staff process." We'll see how it goes. There are a lot of hurdles to clear on this one, and invariably, someone will have to pick it up when I leave.

Later in the day I conducted a faculty development workshop on IPv6 and teaching networks. We had a really good time. It is a nice interchange. In addition to expanding the instructors' knowledge base, I get to step out of that role and talk to them about how I approach teaching various topics to students as well. I learn from them, I think they learn from me. It all works well. We joked a bit about an event in 2008 when Pakistan inadvertently took youtube down for several hours with a black hole route they let get into the greater internet. Things are pretty strained here between Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's no secret that Pakistan has been hedging their bets and continuing to support the Taliban just in things don't work out here in Afghanistan. The degree to which they are doing this is in debate, bit it seems that it is even now still occurring.

It is interesting to talk to the Afghans about their Iranian and Pakistani neighbors. There isn't a lot of love lost with either. If you step back from the situation, it really is in both Iran and Pakistan's best interest to maintain a weak Afghanistan. I hope things continue to change over the next several years though.

No comments:

Post a Comment